Friday, May 21, 2010

Essay Writing: Challenges and Conquests

Essays.. are not my strong point. If I'm given the choice between writing an essay, and shaving a hairy guy's back, I would choose the latter. (ew) Nonetheless, I wasn't given that choice, and so I've had to finish 2 essays this year, and one group essay. As you can see, I'm not an accomplished essayist, but I definitely would say that I've improved since the beginning of the year. At the most, I can say that I now know how to properly embed a quote! What I know about literary analysis, is that its very mind-numbing, and deep. Also, that I'm pretty sure even the authors didn't intend for us to learn about all this stuff as they were writing it. The challenge about literary analysis is that you have to actually believe in what you're writing in order to prove your point. However, when you trudge through the essay from start to finish (at midnight like me), it is very rewarding to press the print button at the end.

I don't think my Romeo and Juliet essay was necessarily my best work. I think there are too many things on the "'B' or lower grade" list that my essay falls under. Most likely, my whole essay just lacks in overall originality; chiefly in my thesis because I followed the prompt too closely. Also, I think I may have lost focus at times, mostly near the end, because as I read over it, I realized that my essay gets progressively worse at the end. This may be because I lose motivation, but also because I just don't focus well at midnight. Lastly, and especially why I'm worried about this essay is because I lack in the transitions; on the essay packet, there was nothing to tell me to write in transitions, so I guess I just didn't do it. Well that's about all I have left to talk about essays - I'm spent on all my literary analysis for the year..

No comments:

Post a Comment