Thursday, May 13, 2010

Summer Reading List

Huhh.. Here we are, writing about reading, again. Anyways, summer is coming up and among the peaceful ideas of idle tanning and floating in a lake, the concrete reality of MORE learning is being forced into my mind. It's strange how in the beginning of the year, I was ignorant enough to believe that reading was fun, but then I got to reading Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens, and I've begun to understand how truly wrong I was. Reluctantly, I'm trying to accept books back into my life, after unremittingly avoiding reading for some time. It will be hard, but I think I'll start with reading some books by my favorite authors, such as Tamora Pierce and Madeleine L'Engle. These two authors have a commonality of writing many sequential series, and they are all consistently good books overall.

I plan on reading a series of Tamora Pierce books, that I haven't gotten around to reading which is the Beka Cooper series. Basically, the trilogy - set in Medieval times - is about a heroine named Beka, and she is a Provost's Guard for Tortall, which is kind of like the police force of this fictional country. I'm interested to read this series because I liked Pierce's previous books for its romantic yet adventurous themes; of course, I'm not sure if this will have a romantic quality to it, but I have high expectations of Tamora Pierce, and I'm sure this will meet my standard.

After finishing that series, I'm not sure if I have time for another series of books, what with summer school and camps and such, but if I do, I definitely plan on reading Madeleine L'Engle's work. I've already read one of the books of her long series, but I believe I started at the wrong spot, so I will have to go to the very beginning of the series and start over. This particular series is called Chronos, but the first book which I will definitely try to read, is called Meet the Austins. It's a story about a girl named Vicky Austin, who's happy family is dirupted by the arrival of a troubled girl named Maggy. The whole story is built with increasing problematic incidents in each chapter, and though this sounds cliched and ordinary, I'm sure it's a book that is easy to be sucked into, because L'Engle has a classy way of writing that mkaes you want to continue reading.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard those are good books, even though I've never read them or thought to read to read them. And I completely agree with you on the whole 'reading used to be fun' thing and since all the books we read I'm kind of afraid to read now. But I will.

    ReplyDelete